Change the Honda CR-V Wheel Hub Assembly
This article is about how to Change the Honda CR-V Hub Assembly. The hub assemblies for all 4 wheels of the Honda CR-V are part of the steering knuckles. The rear hub assemblies additionally include the backing plate for the brake shoes. Removing and changing the hub from the steering knuckle requires special instruments that only a professional machinist can use. Your best bet is to remove the steering knuckle meeting and change it as a whole or have the half worked on professionally.
Change the Honda CR-V Front Hub Instructions
1. Unstake the hub/drive axle nut using a chisel or punch and hammer after which loosen the nut with a breaker bar and socket. Insert a pry bar between two of the wheel studs to keep the hub steady as you loosen the nut.
2. Increase the CR-V’s front end and support it on jack stands, then take away the front wheel.
3. Unbolt and remove the brake caliper after which the caliper mounting bracket with a wrench; hang the caliper with a strong wire to avoid damaging the brake line. Slip the brake disk off.
4. Mark the relationship of the strut and the steering knuckle with paint or chalk and then loosen the bolts connecting the steering knuckle to the strut utilizing a wrench; don’t take away the bolts.
5. Remove the nuts connecting the stabilizer bar to the control arm together with your wrench, then take away the lock pin from the castle nut, loosen the nut and separate the control arm from the ball joint with a puller.
6. Take away the strut-to-knuckle bolts and push the drive axle from the hub, supporting the drive axle’s end with wire. Separate the steering knuckle from the strut.
7. Guide the replacement knuckle/hub meeting into position, insert the drive axle into the hub, push the knuckle into the strut flange and set up its bolts and nuts with out tightening them.
8. Join the ball joint to the control arm with its nut, then tighten the strut bolt nuts, followed by the control arm-to-ball-joint nuts and the tie rod nut.
9. Reinstall the brake disk, caliper bracket and caliper, then set up and tighten the drive axle/hub nut.
10. Remount the wheel and decrease the vehicle.
Change the Honda CR-V Rear Hub Instructions
11. Loosen the nut for the rear drive axle/hub with the breaker bar if the automobile has 4-wheel drive, then block the front wheels with wheel chocks, increase the CR-V’s rear end, assist it on jack stands and take away the rear wheel.
12. Unbolt and remove the brake caliper and then take away the brake disk. If the automobile is two-wheel drive, unstake the hub retaining nut with the punch and hammer and remove it with the breaker bar.
13. Take away the parking brake shoes, pushing down on the retaining spring with a screwdriver to pop it off after which pulling the shoes with the retractor springs off the backing plate.
14. Raise the floor jack to assist the trailing suspension arm and disconnect the suspension arms from the steering knuckle, removing their arms together with your wrench. Separate the axle from the knuckle on a four-wheel-drive and support it with wire.
15. Take away the steering knuckle and the brake backing plate.
16. Set up the substitute steering knuckle and brake backing plate, connecting the knuckle to the suspension arms and drive axle as needed. Increase the floor jack on the trailing arm to simulate the normal riding height before tightening the bolts/nuts.
17. Reconnect the parking brake shoes and springs to the backing plate, then reinstall the brake disk, brake caliper and hub retaining nut.
18. Remount the wheel and decrease the vehicle.